Mozart's House - IMLAUER Hotels & Restaurants

Mozart’s House

Makartplatz 8 in Salzburg: Where Mozart wrote music history
In 1773 the three-room apartment on Getreidegasse had become too small for the Mozart family and they moved to the other side of the Salzach.

Leopold Mozart wrote to his wife: ‘We can no longer sleep on top of one another like soldiers: Wolfgang isn’t 7 years old anymore!” Leopold wanted more space for himself, his family and especially his son Mozart, the up and coming musician. The spacious 8-room apartment on Makartplatz offered enough space for the whole family and guests. In the music room the Mozarts met with court musicians like Johann Michael Haydn. And the actor, theatre director and the Magic Flute librettist Emanuel Schikaneder was a frequent guest at the Mozart house.

Mozart’s house on Markartplatz

The young Mozart wrote music history at Makartplatz 8 in Salzburg. He composed many of his symphonies, serenades, divertimenti and five violin concerts here. Important piano concerts, including the concert for 3 pianos, the Lütznow concert and the Jeunehomme concert were also created here behind the pink walls of the house.

Father Leopold Mozart lived in the house until his death on May 28th, 1787. The former house was destroyed for the most part in the Second World War. Thanks to the International Foundation Mozarteum the house on Markartplatz in Salzburg was rebuilt in its old form.

The former living space of the Mozart family has been a museum since 1996. The life of the family and the history of the house is on display in the rooms. The life and work of Wolfgang Amadeus are the central focus. Visitors can also find out more about the travels of Wolfgang and his sister Nannerl.

Book one of the quiet rooms in this central city hotel today. Guests who arrive in their own car can leave it in the hotel’s own garage or car park throughout their entire stay. The great location means you can go everywhere on foot. The entire team at IMLAUER Hotels & Restaurants is looking forward to your visit!