Salzburg’s old town consists of a large number of important historical buildings, some of which date back to the Middle Ages. This is why Salzburg’s old town has been a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1996.

Many of these buildings hold interesting stories and perhaps a few secrets. The IMLAUER Hotel on Mirabellplatz is one of these buildings with an eventful history that does not immediately reveal its secrets.

A princely palace

The building that now houses the IMLAUER Hotel on Mirabellplatz was built in 1653. It was commissioned by the Salzburg Prince Archbishop Paris von Lodron. A dazzling figure to whom we owe, among other things, the founding of Salzburg University.

Paris Lodron had been Archbishop of Salzburg since 1619. Due to the Thirty Years’ War (1618-1648), he had many fortifications and bastions built on the right-hand side of the old town. Mirabell Palace was thus also integrated into the fortified city.

Archbishop Paris Lodron liked to spend time at Mirabell Palace and had a palace built opposite Mirabell Gardens in 1653. This palace served as a so-called secondary residence for his relatives.

From palace to hotel

In 1818, the upper floors of the house in particular were severely damaged in a devastating fire. The upper floors were rebuilt immediately.

Because of this accident, we know that the building had already been used as an inn and later as a hotel since 1816. The Hotel am Mirabellplatz has been part of IMLAUER Hotels & Restaurants since 2019.

The building is now under conservation protection. Numerous details such as the clearly visible vaulted ceiling in the lobby and the old marble staircases still bring the palace of Prince Archbishop Paris von Lodron to life today.